Monday, July 19, 2010

Small Goals= Easy to achieve



2,010 miles is a huge goal that we have already decided was daunting, at best. However, along the way I have set little goals and given myself little rewards. Race Days are rewards. I love races!Signing up for races is fun. There are so many possibilities, so much success to strive for and another reason and deadline to push yourself for. I love getting the t-shirt and I anticipate the adrenaline rush at the start line. Regardless of the length of the race, I love them.

In June, The Hubby and I decided to join up for a race during our family vacation to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. We planned on running a 10-k at the highest elevation we have ever been to: 6,035 feet above sea level. Food for your brain: The higher the elevation, the more difficult it is to breathe. When running at sea level is already sucking the air out of my lungs, I could have only imagines what 6,035 feet would do.

I had been 'training' for this run in the weeks leading up to it. Running at higher speeds for longer amounts of time trying to work on my VO2. I even had a few days to pound the pavement while out in Colorado before the actual race. I had even checked the running race site for the coarse and they stated "this is a relatively flat coarse with only one Colorado sized hill." In my head I was thinking cool- only one little hill.

I'm ready.
Well, 2 days before the race, the hubby was complaining of having a case of the
sniffles. I was teasing him because I figured this was his excuse of backing out. The 'Oh, I don't feel so good, don't think I can run' excuse. I wasn't going to fall for it-this time. We pumped him full of OJ and didn't let him over-exert himself. However, morning of the race he had a fever, his nose was running like Niagara Falls and he sounded like Barry White. He was in no condition to run.

- Who knew he was telling the truth. (Sorry Honey, for doubting you- like he actually reads my blog anyway) -

He was a trooper and drove me to the Start Line and stayed until the race started. He was great for moral support! That morning I totally needed it. I've only run big races before. Not that I'm a running snob or anything. It is just that by the time I hear about them, they are pretty popular. This race was different. There were only about 70 runners. I was terrified that I was going to be last. I'm not that fast and SOMEONE has to finish last.

I was scared that it was going to be me, the one from a home elevation of actually below sea lever; they call it the Low Country for a reason, ya know!

All these native Colorado-ians with big lungs were going to leave me in the dust. (That is why I needed the hubby for support, I was thinking about going back home- who wants to lose??)

With The Hubby cheering me on, I began the race in the middle of the small crowd. We ran down a rural street next to the Yampa River up stream for a little bit and then started climbing a hill. In my head I was thinking, well this hill isn't SO bad. I think I can make it up, I've trained for this. However, I soon found out this 'hill' was actually part of the "relatively flat course" and the "Colorado-sized hill" was actually up the side of the mountain for 0.7 miles! OMG! But I learned:what goes up, must come down!!!!!

After I hit the halfway/turnaround, it was literally down hill from there! I made up some time and hauled butt towards the finish line. Thanks to the encouragement from my husband and my sister-in-law, who were about 25 yards from the finish line, I sprinted and beat 3 people to the finish line! (You should always beat someone in a race... usually the person right in front of you... they can't ever see
you coming!) While sprinting and turning the 90 degree corner to the finish line, I stepped in a pothole and twisted my foot and hobbled 20 feet to a painful finish at 1:06:10. This was a not a bad time considering the elements and my lung capacity or lack thereof!

Oh no, did I fail to mention one particular element:
THE VIEW!!!
When you are up that high, God's Creation is really awesome! This run was hands down: #1 Most Awe-inspiring Run.
These are the small victories to small goals that make the big goals achievable! This week I am setting myself up for another goal. I would like to reach mile 600 by Saturday. I am 40 miles shy right now. I have 5 days to finish this goal. It is completely do-able. I need to rack up some miles before I head back to school. Only 3 more weeks of summer vacation. Well, at mile 600 I will be in-touch! Until then I have lots of miles to go before I sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I can relate: My home town (Bogota, Colombia) is on a plateau at 8500 feet above sea level. Since I have lived for many years at sea level, every time I go visit & play tennis I get winded really easy!
    Great blog!

    Alan Donald

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could only imagine! If I went there, I would probably HAVE to stay stationary! My lungs would take to long to acclimate! But wow, such a beautiful place to call home.

    ReplyDelete